Laura represents corporate, public entity and individual clients, including a Fortune 500 corporation in the petroleum industry, in matters concerning Environmental Issues and Remediation, Employment Discrimination, Special Education & Disability Law and other General Litigation matters in both state and federal courts.
In the environmental context, she counsels and represents clients in various types of matters, from regulatory issues and compliance, to the negotiation of access agreements, to claims and litigation involving remediation, with an emphasis on soil and groundwater contamination. She has extensive experience working with regional and state public agencies such as various states’ Departments of Environmental Protection/Conservation and the Hudson Regional Health Commission.
In the employment context, Laura defends clients against claims of discrimination, retaliation, ERISA and EEOC violations.
Laura also has an expertise in special education and disability law, which she first began pursuing in law school serving as a clinical law student at the Rutgers Newark Law School Special Education Clinic representing indigent families in matters involving their school districts. Laura’s disability practice involves the representation of individuals with disabilities and their families. This practice includes the representation of children with disabilities and their parents in matters involving disputes with New Jersey school districts under IDEA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Laura also counsels clients on special needs estate planning, including the preparation of special needs trusts. She also represents clients in guardianship proceedings involving disabled individuals or minors.
Prior to joining MARC, Laura was associated for several years with a large New Jersey firm in their litigation practice group.
Laura is currently a member of several organizations in conjunction with her disability practice: New Jersey Special Education Practitioners, Council of Parent Attorneys and Advocates (COPAA), Statewide Parent Advocacy Network of New Jersey (SPAN), Learning Disabilities Association of America, National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), National Center for Learning Disabilities and Asperger Syndrome Education Network (ASPEN).
Laura frequently speaks to various organizations on issues involving special education law and special needs estate planning. There is no charge for these speaking services. Please contact Laura to schedule an event or workshop on any law and disability topic at your organization.
- Environmental Law
- Employment Discrimination
- Special Education & Disability Law
- General Litigation
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- The College of New Jersey (B.S., 2001) Law & Justice, cum laude
- Rutgers University School of Law - Newark (J.D., 2004)
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Theodore A. Winard, J.S.C., Essex County Superior Court (2004-2005)
- Rutgers-Newark Women's Rights Law Reporter – Production Editor
- Rutgers Newark Law School Alumni Mentoring Program
- American Bar Association
- New Jersey Bar Association, Young Lawyers and Women in the Profession Sections
- New York County Lawyers Association
- Essex County Bar Association, Young Lawyers and Juvenile Concerns Sections
- New Jersey Women Lawyers Association
- Chair of the Board of Trustees of Care Plus NJ, Inc., a provider of comprehensive mental health and substance abuse services in Northern New Jersey