Bruce has been recognized by his colleagues as
one of New Jersey’s preeminent trial lawyers for
over three decades. He is not only a highly
skilled white collar criminal defense lawyer,
representing both corporations and individuals
in State and Federal grand jury fraud
investigations but also has extensive experience
in sophisticated business litigation
representing clients in civil fraud litigation,
shareholder dispute litigation and contractual
dispute litigation. His breadth of experience
spans employment litigation, franchise
litigation and casino licensing litigation.
Bruce has also been a lawyer for the legal
profession. He is often the attorney to whom
lawyers turn when confronted with malpractice
litigation or ethical proceedings and/or seek a
mediator to resolve law firm business disputes
without the necessity of going to trial. Bruce
is certified by the New Jersey Supreme Court as
both a civil and criminal trial attorney.
Bruce has been actively involved in continuing legal education throughout the course of his career, beginning when he was Executive Assistant United States Attorney for the District of New Jersey and served as a member of the faculty of the Institute for Trial Advocacy of the Department of Justice. He has served as a member of the faculty of the Trial Advocacy Institute of University of Virginia School of Law for over fifteen years and is a recipient of the Justice William J. Brennan Award for Trial Advocacy conferred by the University in recognition of his life long devotion to the teaching trial advocacy. Bruce has also been a participant in several Inns of Court in New Jersey teaching young lawyers the principles of trial advocacy. He is a member of the Adjunct Faculty of Rutgers Law School.
RECOGNITION AND AWARDS
Bruce demonstrated his legal prowess from the very beginning of his career, when, as Executive Assistant United States Attorney responsible for the prosecution of political corruption, he received the U.S. Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award, an award conferred on an annual basis to only one federal prosecutor in the United States.
He has been selected for inclusion since 1999 in The Best Lawyers in America published by Woodward/White. He has also been selected for inclusion in the annual editions of New Jersey Super Lawyers and New York Super Lawyers.
From Martindale-Hubbell, which is considered the foremost authoritative resource for information on the worldwide legal profession, Bruce has attained an AV Preeminent™ rating of 5.0 out of 5 as determined by peers who have ranked him at the highest level of professional excellence.
Bruce is a fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers and is also a fellow of the American Bar Foundation. He is a recipient of the Justice William J. Brennan, Jr. Award conferred by the Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey in recognition of his contributions to the Legal profession. He is also a recipient of the Judge Learned Hand Award for Humanitarianism conferred by the American Jewish Committee. He is a recipient of the Trial Attorneys of New Jersey Award for excellence in litigation. The New Jersey Bar Association conferred its annual Professionalism award to Bruce in recognition of his efforts to promote professionalism in Essex County.
COMMUNITY RELATED ACTIVITES
Bruce has been active in a variety of civic organizations. He is currently Vice Chairman of the New Jersey Sharing Network which is responsible for the procurement and distribution of transplanted organs in the State of New Jersey. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Relational Medicine Foundation and is a member of the Council of Trustees of the New Jersey Performing Arts Center.
- Complex business litigation
- Law firm litigation
- Legal Malpractice
- Ethics proceedings
- Grand jury investigations
- Internal investigations
- New Jersey, 1967
- New York, 1980
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey, 1967
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit, 1975
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1982
- J.D., The Cornell Law School, 1967
- A.B., Rutgers College, Phi Beta Kappa, 1964 (Henry Rutgers Scholar)
- Former President, Association of the Federal Bar of New Jersey
- Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee of the United States District Court for New Jersey
- Former Member, Lawyers Advisory Committee for the Third Circuit Court of Appeals
- Former Chair of the Merit Selection Panel to consider the appointment of a United States Magistrate Judge for the Trenton Vicinage for the District of New Jersey
- Committees Appointed by the Supreme Court of the State of New Jersey:
- Member, Special New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Telephonic and Electronic Search Warrants
- Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on Bench.Bar.Media
- Former Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Committee on the Rules of Criminal Procedure
- Former Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Trial Attorney Certification Board
- Former Chairperson, New Jersey Supreme Court Fee Arbitration Committee for Essex County
- Former Member, New Jersey Supreme Court Complex Commercial Subtrack Advisory Committee
- Master, Garibaldi Inn of Court for Dispute Resolution
- Former Master, Brennan-Vanderbilt Inns of Court (Intellectual Property)
- Former Master, John C. Lifland American Inn of Court
- Former Master, American Bar Association – Federal Practice Task Force
- "United States And Shareholders vs. Corporate Fraud," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (February 2010)
- "Roundtable: Part II – Corporate Internal Investigations: Later Stages," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (October 2008)
- "Roundtable: Part I – Corporate Internal Investigations: Early Stages," The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (September 2008)
- "What Employment Lawyers Need to Know About Other Areas of Law," sponsored by the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, March 2010, Edison, New Jersey